Gaucín, Málaga, Spain
Gaucín which is 10 minutes away is one of the first famous ‘white villages’ of Andalucía.
Inland you can see the state-owned cork forests which are a nature reserve. The village has a public pool with tennis courts and a couple of riding schools are also found in the vicinity. Throughout the year Gaucin has many fascinating fiestas, traditional Saints days and the ‘Semana-Santa’ (holy-week) processions. In August Gaucin celebrates its ‘Feria’ with a fairground and dancing.
Nearby are many other beautiful towns and villages. The grandest is Ronda with its famous gorge and the oldest bullring in Spain.
A few kilometres down the Valley is the river Genal, a good spot for fishing, swimming and exploring. The Mediterranean beaches are half an hour’s drive away, while the Atlantic coast with its fine white sand and famous wind surfing is one and a half hour’s drive away.
Cadiz, Arcos de la Frontera, Jerez and Seville can all be reached for a day’s outing, providing you make an early start!
Ubrique, good for leather purchases, is about an hour’s drive inland through the cork forests. Ronda is about an hour’s drive inland. The historic towns of Jerez, Ronda, Seville and Cordoba are an easy car journey. Tarifa, famous for its windsurfing is just 90 minutes away. Morocco and the mesmerising port of Tangier is only a 35 minute ferry ride from Tarifa.
For more information on the region of Andalucía and maps visit www.andalucia.com
Malaga at 90 minutes distance offers the most choice of flights.
Gibraltar which is much closer and only 45 minutes away. It is now serviced by 2 daily flights with British Airways from Heathrow and Easyjet from Gatwick
Jerez de la Frontera and Seville both have airports.
Things to do
- The nearest shops are in San Pablo (5 minutes) and Gaucín.
- Riding and walking parties in the surrounding hills, which are National Parkland. There are forest trails along the nearby Genal and Guadal rivers.
- Painting classes at certain times of the year.
- Several Golf Courses within 40 minutes, including Valderama, Sotogrande, San Roque, La Duquesa, Alcaidesa, Almenara and Estepona.
- There are excellent beaches on both the Atlantic and Mediterranean coast lines within 30 minutes.
- Tarifa, the “Windsurfing Capital of the world”, is 50 minutes away by car.
- Day trips to Morocco by Hydrofoil from Tarifa. Guided Trips to Tangiers can also be arranged.
- Polo at Sotogrande.
- Excellent Bullfighting in the season at Malaga, Estepona and Algeciras.
There is so much more to see and do
We have a house guide which gives far more detail about the area and what there is to do around La Hoya. If you would like further information please get in touch.